Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Neverending Story

I love stories. I love to listen to them, read them, and even tell them. I like to tell stories with details that add a little flavor to the narrative and give listeners a little glimpse into the characters and the setting. I guess if you could compare my taste in storytelling to famous literary figures, I would probably be similar to a Tolkien, or my own professional research interest, Herodotus, the father of history. Both of those literary figures engage the audience with tangents that add depth and flavor to the story and provide a little mental rest from the driving narrative.

Recently, however, my own dear wife shattered my story-world. She told me that my stories are too long, and that they have too much detail, and that I needed to cut down on the number of details I included in my stories. Like a good husband, I took her advice to mind, but my heart broke. My world of story-telling will never be the same again now that I'm so self-conscious about how long my stories are. I deeply apologize to those who may have had to bear through one of my epic narrations. I promise to work on that fault and maybe attend rehab (but if I'm in rehab with the literary likes of Tolkien and Herodotus, it can't be that bad!)

The second half of this post may or may not be entirely serious, partially serious, or not at all serious (she did tell me my stories are too long, but I continue to lovingly disagree with her!)

5 comments:

Mikey said...

my wife has witnessed me tell the same story multiple times but in different settings and has been rather critical of me for that...and that is why i no longer tell stories. (just kidding, my wife is not that mean)

Lucas said...

I was recently told by my girlfriend that I tell the same stories, but I belive that is because I tell them to different people and she is always there.

Let's start a story club. Or a support group.

I always thought that the key to a good story was details... but becareful that you don't become one of those greek professors that tell long stories about greek words. Make sure your story has boobs in it.

Adam said...

Have you ever thought....


She....




Is......



Wrong?????




Ive never noticed

Lucas said...

I think that when you tell your stories you should lie. Add things that shouldn't be there like dragons and warriors. This will keep people interested and create excitement... skeptical excitement... but excitement nonetheless.

Tyler said...

ok here's some comments:

Lucas, you tell the same jokes. These often are obscure and people don't get them, so then you must begin telling them the story/movie/comedy routine behind the joke...and you end up telling the same stories. But I still love you...

Jason - long stories with too many details? I like to call it...Fellowship of The Ring, the first half of the book. I never noticed you having too long of stories either.

Adam - lol