Friday, September 16, 2005

Lost

Melissa and I have recently started renting and watching the show Lost in preparation for the start of the new season on Sept. 21st. The show, so far, is excellent, and I would recommend it to anyone. I really enjoy some of the themes that have come up in the show so far, such as fear, destiny, fate, and friendship. A recent development in the show has led me to a curious question. A scouting party has just found a source of fresh water in the jungle far away from the beach where their plane crashed on the unknown island. The survivors are forced into the decision of going to try and live in the cave at the water source or staying on the beach where there is a better chance for someone to see and rescue them. At this point, they have been on the island for over a week without any sign of rescue. At the end of the show, the group splits in two with some staying on the beach and others going into the jungle and the water supply. So, my question is which place would you go? I think I would go into the jungle because it would be easier to set up a camp there and work from that. Do you hold on to a frail hope or do you take advantage of what you have and see what you can do from there?

2 comments:

Adam said...

Stay on the beach. I think the first part of survival is keeping yourself out of danger. Going into a unknown area and not prepaired could end up terrible. Acctually I would work outward little by little as best as I could.

Lucas said...

I would set up two camps. One beach; one cave.

The beach camp would just be a lookout camp for rescue. Build a beacon fire and a small hut. Use the ocean for fishing.

The jungle would be for cutting firewood, making spears, and getting water for the beach camp.

Just take turns. Send two people at a time to the beach camp and the rest work in the jungle.