Saturday, October 08, 2005

Baseball fever in Chicago

The playoffs have come to Chicago, and it is quite exciting. The White Sox handily beat the Bosox in three no-competition games and prepare to meet the Angels (hopefully). Unfortunately, the success of the White Sox has caused a dilemma in my fan allegiances. Both sides of my family, my side and Melissa's side, have unbreakable bonds to the Cubs. I, on the other hand, have no such debilitating strong ties. Thus, with the White Sox playing well in the playoffs, I find it a pleasure and a duty to root for them based on the fact that I live in the Chicago area. However, I know that as soon as I make even an indication of my team choices to a family member, namely my in-laws, I will probably be roasted and eaten for dinner. This whole issue poses a serious question in my mind. Why is it that Chicago Cub fans can be so completely devoted to one team and loathe another team if both teams are from the same city? If the Cubs and the Sox were both in the same league, I could understand the animosity, but they're not! They are in completely different leagues. I am completely baffled by this question because I feel that as a baseball fan in general I can root for both the Cubs and the Sox and feel good about myself. I do know, however, that if I said this in any sports bar in the city of Chicago, I would also get roasted and eaten alive. So here I am in a ridiculous conundrum, trying to give credit to whom credit is due (namely, the Sox) and ending up on somebody's plate no matter what I say. Oh, the politics of Chicago (and the rest of Illinois really) baseball fans.

7 comments:

Mark Potes said...

Simply excellent. Think it and make it happen.
power meal

Lucas said...

Well, Jason the reason Cub fans hate all other teams is that we have made a habit of loosing, but other fans are still jerks about it when they win. We have to be extremely loyal to hide the pain.

But the Sox/Cubs rivalry is a North/South issue. It is really the civil war of Chicago. I think it has something to do with Irish and Italian allegances as well, but I'm not sure.

But if the Sox play the Cards for the series, I won't watch... which will cripple baseball, I'm sure.

Adam said...

I would much rather see the sox win than the Cards.

It is not the irish and italian.

It is the irish and the polish

Tyler said...

People don't like the sox b/c they are GHETTO!!!!! Jason, i understand your dilema...for instance, i like the bears, but i also like watching the packers (particularly Favre). Also, i know you didn't just write a post about liking the Sox b/c they are doing well...are you a Patriots fan too?

Mikey said...

Life would be easier for you if you would just root for the cardinals.

Simply excellent. Think it and make it happen

Jason said...

I'm definitely not a Patriots fan, and I would definitely not call myself a Sox fan. I think I'm just excited about having the playoffs so close to home since that has never happened in my lifetime. Since I enjoy watching baseball, the Sox just became an outlet for my allegiances. I am actually in the middle of a fan identity crisis right now. I am questioning all of my former and new allegiances, but maybe that's another post...

Adam said...

I will have to say I am happy the Sox won