Monday, November 27, 2006

Hunting

Last Thursday I shot a deer...........with a camera. Unfortunately, if you were hoping for interesting, compelling stories from my hunting excursion on Thanksgiving you will probably be disappointed. It turns out that I actually didn't get to shoot anything. We were mistakenly led to believe that I didn't need a hunter's safety course to get a hunting license so I wasn't legally allowed to do any hunting. However, I did get to put on all the gear and sit in the tree stand with a camera for a couple hours. It was incredibly peaceful and quiet, and on the whole, a very relaxing experience. I saw one young buck with short antlers not too far from the tree stand eating the corn strategically laid on the forest ground. When he left he joined a group of about four other deer in the distance that I wasn't able to get a real good look at because they were too far away. Unfortunately for my companion at another tree stand, he didn't see any deer at all. Overall, it was a great experience that I would definitely like to try again for real. Even though I didn't actually get to shoot at anything, I enjoyed the experience of interacting with nature and just being outside.

2 comments:

TWH said...

glad to hear you got to see some wildlife. You're doing better than me this year. Did you strategically place the corn on the forest floor or did someone else?

Jason said...

The guy I went with had an area set up near the tree stand where he had a small stump-looking thing with corn on and around it that apparently the deer like to lick. He also had a camouflage camera attached to a tree that would take pictures of the deer when they came to eat.