Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pro Patria

If you ever want to feel a fierce pride for the place of your birth, move away. Some say that distance makes the heart grow fonder, and I would agree with that statement but take it even further. I would venture to say that distance makes the heart a fierce and proud lion.

I live very far away from my birth land right now so I have experienced this phenomenon personally. I have also, however, lived in a state bordering my home state, and I experienced the same feelings there. It's a feeling that's somewhat difficult to describe. During my formative years in Wisconsin, I appreciated the quirks and unique traits that defined the state but I never felt attached to them in the way I did after I moved away. Living in Illinois, surrounded by new quirks and traditions, I began to latch onto my cheesehead roots. And "latch" may be too weak of a word. It was more like a vice grip, holding on for dear life. Suddenly, cheese and brats became way cooler than they ever were before. The Brewers and the Packers rocketed into sports heaven (I purposefully leave out the Bucks because they are one thing about Wisconsin not worth cheering for), and the Wisconsin accent became almost endearing.

Not too long ago, a series of advertisements championed the superior quality of California dairy, and this was the first time I experienced the anger associated with wounded state pride. By this time, I was living in North Carolina and about five years removed from Wisconsin, but the ads stung stronger than if I had actually still been a resident of Wisconsin. I realized then that moving away from Wisconsin had developed in me a pride that went beyond the fondness of distance. The longer I lived away from my birth state, the more I adamantly defended its traditions and quirks and expected other people to respect and appreciate them too. In fact, I might even try to fight you if you slander my dear old cheeseheads. At least, that's how I felt about the entire state of California.

As I get ready to move across states again, I believe that my pride will only grow stronger. Although I may not live in Wisconsin again, I will always associate myself in part with its unique qualities. Recently, I even considered buying myself a cheesehead. And that was something I swore I'd never do when I lived there!

3 comments:

Lucas said...

I love those commercials cause I saw one right before the news show that reported farmers in California had to recall a ton of bad beef, bad milk, and that they were abusing the cows there.

Happy Cows come from California.

Just Call Me Grammy said...

Ha!!! One more way you strongly resemble Melissa's dad. EVERY time we cross the Indiana state line he breathes in deeply and sighs the same few words... "the sweet smell of Indiana". I am quite sure he has never missed this event, even through tears the day his dad died. Maybe it's a guy thing, or maybe I am just not loyal enough to care that much about Illinois.

Tyler said...

This is why I don't understand why people who live in IL like the Cardinals. I always just figured that it was a redneck thing... or a bandwagon thing...