Sunday, May 04, 2008

A Traveling Man


As the years have gone by I've begun to realize how much traveling is part of my identity. Growing up, my parents always found opportunities to take us to as many parts of the world as they were able. My dad often traveled to France for business, and we got to tag along. Sometimes we would extend the trip and visit other countries in Europe to expand our horizons. We would also load up the old Grand Caravan nearly every summer and drive somewhere within the United States. Many times our vacations were built around the location of the annual North American Christian Convention.

My sister was quick to appreciate the value in traveling, but I for some reason rejected it. I think a large part of the reason was because I wanted to reject anything my sister found enjoyable. I have since learned the absurdity of that mindset, but at a young age it was alive and well. I also think I took it for granted. It wasn't until I left for college that I started really appreciating all of the travel experiences from my childhood. I still remember my parents filling out requests for extended absences at school because of some trip we were taking, and it was never hard to come up with a good educational reason for taking the trip. It was the cultural and educational experience that I began to fully grasp once I left my parent's home.

My memories from vacations and family trips are some of the most treasured times in my life. I have learned that I have a soul that is satisfied by living and experiencing other cultures, climates, and worldviews. A part of me will forever be a wandering spirit, curious about what life is like in a corner of the world I haven't yet visited. Nothing will ever replace the experiences my parents gave me when they opened up the world to my young, uncomprehending mind. I hope that I can do the same for my own someday.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

I'm looking forward to that too. Hopefully some of your trips will be to meet the Motley's at that place where we did that thing that one time. That way we can introduce our nerdy kids.