Thursday, May 21, 2009

Conversation Piece T-shirts


The other day at the grocery store I got into a conversation about Norse mythology with the bagger. The conversation began because of the Viking longship t-shirt I got on our cruise to Oslo a couple years ago. The event got me thinking about t-shirts that inspire conversation and how nerds often have a large repertoire of these kinds of t-shirts. In addition, these t-shirts function like nerd beacons and often inspire shouts of appreciation or jealousy from other nerds.

I know that when I am out and about and I see someone wearing a particularly cool Star Wars t-shirt, I just want to go and start a conversation with that person and become lifelong friends. I often get comments of this sort about my own Short Round t-shirt. There is a certain satisfaction in knowing that a mere t-shirt can bring together people across ages and cultures and inspire illuminating conversations about Norse mythology or which Marvel comic character is the best.

Conversation piece t-shirts, however, are not necessarily restricted to nerds. My cousin recently pointed out a link to a finely-crafted "wolves howling at the moon" t-shirt on Amazon. I'm sure everyone has seen a shirt like that at some point in their lives. So, do you have any conversation piece shirts? I'll even open it up to other sorts of garments beyond t-shirts. Perhaps you have a lovely sweatshirt or sweater that makes people wax particularly eloquent. I'm interested to hear your stories.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Probably the shirt that gets me the most conversation (but in a weird way) is my shirt that has a silhouette of California and underneath it say New Hampshire. I usually get 1 of three reactions:

1. Someone is confused and suddenly can't remember what California or New Hampshire looks like so they ask me in hopes that I will confirm that they are not, in fact, an idiot.

2. Someone sees my shirt, recognizes the inconsistency and wants to know what it means. There's no inside joke. It's like writing the word green with blue ink...throws you off a bit.

3. Someone sees it, likes it, has a good chuckle. We become friends.