Sunday, February 06, 2005

Latin mass

So today I attended a Latin High Mass for church. I didn't really have any expectations coming into it because I didn't really know what to expect. The church building itself was absolutely beautiful. It was incredibly ornate and beautifully decorated. We took booklets that had the Latin and the English on opposing pages so we could follow along, but most of the speaking was done by the priest so that no one could hear what was being said. There is so much tradition evident in the liturgy that I wonder if anyone really knows what it means anymore. It seems like people just stand up and sit down at certain times and sit and watch the priest read from a book and prepare the Holy Sacraments. I guess I really don't know enough about the Catholic church to make any real judgements. I think that maybe that is just the way some people meet God. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

2 comments:

Lucas said...

I went to a Good Friday service at a church like that once. It was interesting and I find some majesty in the services that are liturgical. This year at our own "cross service" for Easter, I found my self inthrawled by the cross and crossed myself in reverence. But I don't know if I want to worship when I don't know what people are saying.

Adam said...

I guess the literagy churches are growing. I guess they like that "majestic" and the churches like ours see fake? I went to a Eastern Orthadox church and it was awsome.