Tuesday, October 31, 2006

There's No Place Like Home

Well, I've already missed posting once every week, but I will excuse myself because it was a pretty busy week. Last Wednesday, I got to go back home to Wisconsin for the first time since about April of this year. Needless to say, it was a long time since I had been home. It was great to see family and friends and spend some time away from school and all the stuff going on here. I was privileged to be a part of my friend Pete's wedding over the weekend, which was the main reason I traveled back. Although I didn't know most of the people in the wedding, everyone was very friendly and enjoyable to be around, which made it a very enjoyable experience. I also got to see some friends and family in the Chicago area for a brief lunch. It was not much time, but enough to get a little caught up and just to enjoy seeing them all again. I was disturbed, however, to see how much has been built in the quickly-expanding western suburbs of Chicago just since I moved in June. A Kohl's, Meijer, and Lowe's, in addition to other strip mall type stores were nearly completed in Oswego that had scarcely been started when I moved. It made me a little sad because I have become accustomed to the abundant foliage in North Carolina, which is nowhere in sight throughout the western suburbs. I also realized how much I didn't miss driving in Chicago traffic.

The trip on the whole was incredibly busy, especially with preparing for the wedding and trying to see everyone I wanted to see in such a short time. Unfortunately, I think I probably ended up spending less time with everyone than I would have liked. I guess that's what happens when you have only limited time and unlimited things to do and see. Despite greatly enjoying the time I spent at home this past weekend, it was also nice to come back to my new home. There's something about the normal routine and the comfort it provides that always feels welcome. I love and miss everyone back in the midwest, and for those of you I saw this weekend, I appreciate the time we spent together, even if it was short.

I have to admit it was pretty nice coming back here and getting up the next day to 70 degrees. It's also pretty fun to rub that in to y'all up in the north!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally love the brisk weather.

Melissa said...

"ya'll"?????

hick.